SONY DSC This bridge, constructed in 1908 by the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, WI, is a two-span Pennsylvania overhead truss type bridge and is the oldest of its kind in Wisconsin. Originally, it crossed the Chippewa River just upstream from its junction with the Yellow River. The Bridge was dismantled during the construction of the Wissota Damn in 1916, and through the efforts of Oscar Anderson, a Cobban store owner, the bridge was acquired to be placed on land donated by S.C.F. Cobban. During the winters of 1916 and 1917, the dismantled bridge was hauled here by horse and sled, with the movers receiving $1 per ton for the fifteen mile trip. Footings were placed the L. G. Arnold Company, Eau Claire, WI, and reconstruction was done by Cromby and Thallacker of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1918-1919. The ferry that had provided a crossing to Cobban was discontinued and replaced by the bridge, nicknamed "Little Wagon Bridge". The one-lane bridge is now in danger of being dismantled due to its age.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:Bridges, Cobban Bridge, Chippewa County bridge, Chippewa River Bridge, Modern Steel Structural Company, two-span Pennsylvania bridge, overhead truss type bridge, oldest type bridge in Wisconsin, Yellow River, Wissota Dam, Oscar Anderson, Cobban Store, S.C.F. Cobban, L.G.Arnold, Cromby and Thallacker, Little Wagon Bridge, Hwy 178 Bridge, Bridge photographs, Bridge styles, pictures, Cobban Bridge Photographs, Bridge portraits, Sharon Weeks, 1908 bridge, Chippewa County Bridge, dismantled bridges, bridges dismantled in 1916